“Does this look normal?” My friend asked me the other day as she showed me a picture of herself.
“What do you mean?”
She then proceeded to tell me that she used a new app she bought to make her legs and arms skinnier. I think I stared at her for a good fifteen seconds before asking her, “why?” which was stupid because I knew why. Girls can Photoshop themselves because they want to look skinnier and now, because they can. It used to be something that only models in magazines did, and everyone knew it was apparent and unattainable. Now, it’s something the regular girl is doing with a 99-cent app on her iPhone. This honestly more than disappoints me. When my friend showed me the original picture, and her Photoshop version, her body was totally different. It made me question her confidence, her self-love, and her ability to see how beautiful she really is.
Studies have shown, that 91% of women are unhappy with their bodies. Here are my ten body image tips to help you learn to love the skin you’re in…
1. Write down three things about your body that you dislike. Now turn each one of those statements into a positive and what it does for you! Get rid of the negative thoughts by seeing all the positives! (example: My mole on my face is so ugly—- My mole on my face makes me so unique!)
2. Now, write down three things you love about yourself not pertaining to your appearance! (example: I love my laugh!)
3. Remind yourself that “true beauty” is not just on the surface. When you feel good about yourself on the inside, it radiates beauty on the outside! Your confidence will show.
4. Try to stay away from staring in the mirror for a long period of time and try stepping on the scale less.
5. Cut out the negativity in your life!! Make sure you are surrounded with people that bring up your confidence, not lower it. Appreciate those around you who impact your life positively, and tell them!! Let them know how thankful you are.
6. Realize the body envy. Realize that some bodies you see are unattainable, and that’s that. Celebrities are not real life. You have the power to change your mindset of what you see in the media. Create your own image of what you think is beautiful to you. To me, beautiful is being genuinely nice.
7. Dress yourself comfortably to your body! When you are dressed with clothing you know fits your body well, your confidence will be a lot higher!
8. Don’t let your insecurities stop you from doing things that you love to do. For me, this was going to my first Zumba classes. I was horribly embarrassed because I didn’t know the moves very well and I felt everyone was super experienced. I had to let go of what everyone around me thought and just enjoy the class!
9. Treat your body with respect. Appreciate it. We were only given one body in this life so take care of it! When you take care of your body (hydrate, eat clean, exercise) you will see your self-love grow immensely.
10. Stop every comparison in your head. This tip has the most meaning to me. I catch myself often looking at someone on social media and saying in my head, “wow she’s so much fitter and prettier than me.” These small sayings will bring you down more than you know. “Comparison is the thief of joy,” and it’s so true. Whenever you say something comparing you to another girl in your head, immediately turn it into a positive. (“She’s pretty but hey I am too☺”)
Side note: Two Videos to Watch!
These are videos of the new Barbie named “Lammily” who resembles a realistic, normal girl. See what can changes can be done to Lammily’s body in the first video, and then watch how much the kids love her the way she really is in the second video! Love this <3